Booking your annual boiler service is one of those chores that can be tempting to put off, particularly if your boiler seems to be working fine. But regular servicing is vital in ensuring that your boiler stays safe and continues to run smoothly and efficiently for you.
If you’re thinking about booking your service, you might be wondering what’s involved that makes it so important. So, we’ve put together a list of checks that your engineer will take when conducting your boiler service, so that you know what to expect on the day.
We also explain why regular servicing is vital, whatever the age and condition of your boiler.
Now let’s look at what to expect when The Heating People service your boiler. Just be aware that not all tests or checks will be applicable, it will depend on the type of heating system that you have:
Service plans Quick Q&As
The Heating and Hotwater Industry Council (HHIC) recommends booking your boiler service during the summer. This is to avoid any nasty surprises when the weather turns colder, and you need your boiler the most.
Unfortunately, boilers don’t last forever. If you’re wondering whether it’s time to upgrade your boiler, you might like to read our related blog: ‘Does my boiler need replacing?’
But here are a few warning signs that your current boiler might be on its last legs:
All modern boilers are rated for efficiency under the European energy label introduced in September 2015. ErP stands for ‘Energy-related Products’. Under this scale, boilers are rated from A-G, with A being the most efficient, and G being the least efficient. To put this into context, a G-rated boiler with 73% efficiency will use 73% of the supplied energy for heating your home but the remaining 27% of energy will be lost. So, this means that for every £1 you spend on heating your home, 27p is wasted.
If you’ve done some research on boilers, you might have come across the phrase ‘Boiler Plus’ and be wondering what it means. Boiler Plus is a new(ish) set of rules on energy efficiency designed to improve the way you use energy in your home.
Since 2018, all boilers must have a minimum ErP (Energy related Products) rating of 92% and all gas and oil boilers must have appropriate time and temperature controls fitted.
In addition, when installed, combi boilers must have one of four of the following requirements fitted:
Any boilers installed without the measures set out in the Boiler Plus standards, will be non-compliant with the Building Regulations.
Rest assured that all boilers installed by The Heating People comply with all the legal requirements under Boiler Plus.
If you’re wondering what you stand to gain from a boiler replacement (aside from a boiler that actually works!) Here are some of the key benefits:
The Heating People serve all of Warrington.
The Heating People serve all of Southport.